What is Blue Light?
Blue light is a range of the visible light spectrum, defined as having a wavelength between 400−495 nm. This short wavelength means that blue light is a type of high-energy visible light, defined as having a wavelength between 400 and 450 nm. - Wikipedia
Blue Light is also categorized under Junk Light, which is the over-exposure to artificial light at the wrong time of day that can powerfully suppress your melatonin levels (Sleep) and the physiology of your eyes (Nervous System). Junk light also emits a unique glare that impacts your retina causing eye strain, headaches, and physical and mental fatigue. Artificial light sources, especially LEDs, compact fluorescent (CFLs), computer, smartphone, and eReader screens are virtually unavoidable. These light sources amplify the blue, violet and green parts of the light spectrum. Your body's natural circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle) is extremely sensitive to this light spectrum.
How Does Blue Light Affect My Health?
Junk light may contribute to and, or be linked to many chronic health conditions, including but not limited to:
Short-term memory loss
Problems sleeping, due to melatonin suppression
Stress and anxiety, due to cortisol suppression
Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder or depression
Endocrine disruption and a poor immune system
Female hormonal/menstrual cycle disruption
Agoraphobia (anxiety disorder)
How to Mitigate Blue Light for Optimal Health & Sleep
Timing is Key!
We must expose our eyes to the right light at the right time of day and night. When we are exposed to excessive amounts of junk light at the wrong times, (night, before bed, very early morning before sunrise) our health ends up suffering, which greatly impacts our quality of sleep and overall well-being.
1. Turn off all lights in your home 1–2 hours before bedtime. (If you wake up before sunrise, be sure to not look at your phone first thing in the morning.)
2. Get a red or orange reading lamp, which doesn't emit blue light. Candlelight works well too.
3. Keep your bedroom completely dark (highly recommended), or use a sleep mask.
4. Download IRIS and/or any blue blocking software for all of your devices.
5. Last but not least, INVEST in a pair of Blue Blockers.
Products I recommend:
The HUGE Benefits I have Experienced Since Blocking Junk Light
1. WAY Better Sleep - I actually get drowsy at night, like clockwork everytime I put my blue blockers on.
2. No More Eye Strain, Headaches, or Migraines - After long hours on the computer I no longer experience those painful headaches/migraines or that dryness/straining on my eyes.
3. More Energy & Focus - I feel less fatigued, more balanced and have more energy during the right times of the day, I feel my natural circadian rhythm for the first time in a long time.
Why I chose True Dark After Many Years of Testing Other Blue Blockers
Simple - Unlike other blue blockers...
1. They come with two different glasses (much needed) one for day and one for night.
2. They block not only harsh blue light, but also Yellow, Green & Violet (Junk Light)
3. They are sturdy and long lasting.
4. They have incredible customer service (First pair was too small and ended up having a defect, which they replaced super quicklly without hesistation.)